With school summer holidays approaching there are many weeks stretching ahead to keep the children entertained here are a few ideas which won’t break the bank.
- A treasure hunt in the garden or park. Try searching for a bumble bee, a bright flower, a butterfly, daisies and blackberries growing in the hedge.
- Geocaching – get the free app on your smart phone. Technology meets treasure hunt. Using GPS on your phone seek ‘geocaches’ hidden in your local area. For more information go to geocaching.com
- Picnic in the park. Pack some sandwiches and treats, fine a shady spot under a tree to sit. You could take along a ball or other outside games play.
- Fun at the seaside. Long walks collecting shells and pretty stones, paddling in the sea and making sandcastles.
- Countryside walks along footpaths and through woods. These are great places to look and listen for wildlife. Become a Nature Detective, visit the woodland trust website woodlandtrust.org.uk
- For rainy days when you can’t get outside, bake some cupcakes and biscuits then decorate with coloured icing and enjoy them whilst watching your favourite film.