Revision Techniques: Advice for Young People
With exams just around the corner, whether GCSE’s or A levels, it is important to be prepared, but also not to panic. Below is our top ten tips and further advice posted online by past students, which may be useful in preparing for your exams.
Top Ten Tips
- Create a revision timetable.
- Consider using mind maps.
- Take regular breaks, short bursts of 20-25 mins study maybe more effective than spending hours at a desk.
- Test yourself or get someone to test you.
- Use practice exam papers – this is one of the most valuable methods of revision.
- Do not be influenced by friends who appear to be doing less revision, we all work at different rates and it’s your results that count.
- Find a suitably quiet place to revise.
- Try not to get stressed, eat and sleep properly.
- Be positive and think of achieving success.
- Have an aim for each session and break all topics into manageable chunks.
- Produce notes and use different techniques i.e. key word cards, flashcards.
- Have information and equipment ready i.e. pens, pencils, paper etc.
- STOP if you feel overwhelmed and take a break.
- Keep hydrated by drinking fluids (preferably water), rather than sugary drinks.
- Don’t leave the difficult bits until last
- Focus on what you have already done and not what is left to do.
As well as the above tips, online sites can offer more support with video information, written resources and advice from young people, who have previously taken exams. See the links below to access the many useful online resources.
Please do NOT sign up or download anything without asking your carers advice or permission first.
Good Luck, do your best and whatever happens, we are all extremely proud of you!
BBC Bitesize (2018). Revision: top revision tips. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zw8qpbk?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bitesize&intc_campaign=mindset&intc_linkname=guide_revisiontips_contentcard1 Accessed on: 9/4/18
Mosslands School. A Survival Guide For Your GCSE Exams. Available at: http://www.mosslands.co.uk/_files/Files/Pupils/Revision%20Guide.pdf Accessed on: 9/4/18
St Monica’s RC High School. YEAR 11 – Tips and Techniques for GCSE Revision and Success. Available at: www.stmonicas.co.uk/school/images/Students/YEAR_11_STUDENTS_BOOKLETYEAR_11_V2.pdf Accessed on: 9/4/18
The Mix. Revision Tips. Available at: www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/revision-tips-1238.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_v7W37yt2gIVx53tCh1OewUbEAAYASAAEgLtvPD_BwE Accessed: 9/4/18.
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- August 2015
- March 2015
- December 2014