With exams just around the corner, whether GCSE’s or A levels, it is important to be prepared, but also not to panic. Below is our top ten tips and further advice posted online by past students, which may be useful in preparing for your exams.
Top Ten Tips
- Create a revision timetable.
- Consider using mind maps.
- Take regular breaks, short bursts of 20-25 mins study maybe more effective than spending hours at a desk.
- Test yourself or get someone to test you.
- Use practice exam papers – this is one of the most valuable methods of revision.
- Do not be influenced by friends who appear to be doing less revision, we all work at different rates and it’s your results that count.
- Find a suitably quiet place to revise.
- Try not to get stressed, eat and sleep properly.
- Be positive and think of achieving success.
- Have an aim for each session and break all topics into manageable chunks.
- Produce notes and use different techniques i.e. key word cards, flashcards.
- Have information and equipment ready i.e. pens, pencils, paper etc.
- STOP if you feel overwhelmed and take a break.
- Keep hydrated by drinking fluids (preferably water), rather than sugary drinks.
- Don’t leave the difficult bits until last
- Focus on what you have already done and not what is left to do.
As well as the above tips, online sites can offer more support with video information, written resources and advice from young people, who have previously taken exams. See the links below to access the many useful online resources.
Please do NOT sign up or download anything without asking your carers advice or permission first.
Good Luck, do your best and whatever happens, we are all extremely proud of you!
BBC Bitesize (2018). Revision: top revision tips. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zw8qpbk?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bitesize&intc_campaign=mindset&intc_linkname=guide_revisiontips_contentcard1 Accessed on: 9/4/18
The Mix. Revision Tips. Available at: www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/revision-tips-1238.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_v7W37yt2gIVx53tCh1OewUbEAAYASAAEgLtvPD_BwE Accessed: 9/4/18.